Various Slime Molds found in mid-August in my hometown

 Recently I went for a walk to the woods in my hometown as usual, but this time I walked around a different place from routine, which is located about 100m higher than routine woods.

This is an example of the slime molds that I found there. I'll describe it later in this blog.




The small path in the woods where only mini truck can pass. Main tree species are Japanese cypress and cedar, but I think dead logs of these trees are not favorable for the occurrence of slime molds, probably these dead logs take long time to decay.

 Then, I went down to the small valley below the forest road. I think the dead logs or branches around there are in the moist condition, so it is favorable for slime molds to grow. Additionally, I think the best time to look for slime molds is a few days after successive rain. 

 I found a fallen decayed tree of a broadleaf tree. I think dead logs in the valley like this are the best spots to look for slime molds. The white creature in the hollow of the decayed tree (orange arrow) is a kind of slime molds, Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa var. flexuosa. In Japan we call it Namiuti Tunohokori. Namiuti means wavy, curved pattern in Japanese.


 This is a close up photo of Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa var. flexuosa.
It has a translucent stalk, white branches bifurcated several times, and becomes tree-like.

  Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa var. flexuosa has long branches that grow in a wavy, curved pattern. Branches are intricately intertwined with other branches.

These are wolf's milk slime, Lycogala epidendrum occurred around the hollow of the same decayed tree.


Since this slime mold is vivid red color when it formed, and keeps pinkish color at least on the day of occurrence, it seems it occurs yesterday judging from its exterior color.

 After I returned to the forest road again, I found some slime molds occurred at the base of the fern stem and nearby a decayed thick tree branch. Please look at bottom right of the photo. 


 This is the slime molds emerged on the fern stem. I think it's Physarum globuliferum.
When immature, the fruiting body is yellowish, as shown in the bottom left, but as it matures, it turns black and eventually the surface becomes whitish like it's powdered. Sorry if it's wrong, it's just my speculation. 

 This is the another photo of Physarum globuliferum occurred nearby a decayed thick branch. I think the white color of a fruiting body is caused by limestone particles emerged on the surface.

 Two kinds of slime molds were noticed on a decayed thick branch beside the forest road. The blue arrow indicates Arcyria cinerea, and the orange arrow Stemonitis fusca

Stemonitis fusca, commonly known as “Chocolate Tube Slime Molds”. This slime mold appears very often in this woods and elsewhere.

 Arcyria cinerea
emerged around the hollow of the decayed thick branch. The tip of fruiting bodies is blackish. And they are not cylindrical, but angular like a banana. Probably they are immature, I suppose. 


 Finally, do you know what this is?  Of course, this is not a slime mold, but a white fungus that parasitizes selectively insects. Maybe a long-horned beetle fell victim to this fungus.
I took this photo, because it looks like some kind of a toy robot for a second. 
I took above photos on August 19th and 22nd.





Comments

Popular Posts