Omikuji, a fortune-telling paper strip

 Omikuji is a small slip of paper that describes a person's future which is available at shrines and temples. The omikuji contains two Chinese characters, which represents the overall fortune for the year ahead. In addition, the omikuji also contains advice on various aspects of life, such as health, work, wealth, and love.
↓ I will explain this Hexagonal column later. 

 The other day, I visited Taga Taisha Shrine located in Taga Town, Shiga Prefecture. This shrine is one of the most prestigious shrines in Shiga Prefecture. It is very crowded in particular at the first shrine visit of the new year.
 Mantō-sai, a lantern festival held on the night of August 3 to 5, is one of the most popular events of the shrine. More than 10 thousands of lanterns are lit in the whole precinct of the shrine at night.
 Actually, I visited this shrine in the morning of August 4th to watch the numerous lanterns hanging at everywhere in the shrine. Although it was in the daytime when I visited. 



 Today, August 13th, several days after the festival, I visited again to see if the lanterns were already put away. Countless lanterns now has been completely put away, unbelievable.
The shrine returned to the usual silence.  It is a quiet shrine precinct.

Several worshipers drop some coins in the offering box and pray. 
 
After praying in front of the main shrine, worshipers often draw an Omikuji, a fortune-telling paper strip.

So, I tried to draw an omikuji too.
At first, I shake well the black Hexagonal column written "Omikuji", then turn it upside down until a stick comes out from a small hole in the top of the lid.  I can see a number on it. I show the number to a shrine maiden at the shrine counter and paid 200 JPY, then she hands me an omikuji paper corresponded to the number.
 
 The notice on the column says "The stick with the number cannot be removed out. Please inform us of your number". The colorful hexagonal column you see in the background is for children's omikuji.

 According to the instagram of Taga Taisha Shrine, the fortunes written on the fortune slips are divided into five categories: " Great luck," " Luck," " Some luck," " A little luck," " Uncertain luck," The contents are also important, so read them carefully, keep them in mind, and live your life accordingly.

In my case, the number written on the fortune stick was No.8.  So, she handed me an omikuji paper of No.8.  It reads Uncertain luck. That's bad.


 It's difficult to explain what it says in English. First of all, the overall fortune is described in a poem called Tanka. By the way, a verse which has a total of 31 syllables of 5-7-5-7-7 is called Tanka poem.
 Then, various advices are written, such as what you think does not come true, you'll have hard time now or you’ll have to endure now.  I think my fortune is not very good. But, if I look at the contents from another point of view, it's not a good time now, but good things will happen later.


Then, I tried to draw an omikuji again. This time I shaked the Hexagonal column furthermore. The stick written No.15 on it came out. The shrine maiden handed me the purple omikuji paper. It said A little luck. It is the fourth luck from the top, a littte bit better than earlier.
 But, after reading the omikuji paper, I think my fortune almost unchanged from the previous omikuji.

There are another omikuji which specializes in love fortune or children’s fortune.



Comments

Popular Posts