I'd love to jump in the Lake Biwa on such a hot day.

 It's been so hot for several days, I feel like the rainy season would be over, although the rainy season has not begun yet. This heat really makes me exhausted.

 The majestic jumping event is held every year on August 1st at Isaki-ji Temple, Shiga prefecture. In this jumping event, ascetic Buddhist monks walk a narrow wooden beam that is protruding several meters above the water's surface and leap from its tip into Lake Biwa.

 In the past days, anyone could jump, but now only the monks who have finished a 100-day practice called kaihogyo are allowed to jump.

 I went to check the location of the temple in advance the other day.  

 This is the approach road to Isaki-ji Temple.


 After walking up the approach about 1 km from the parking lot, I reached the main temple of Isaki-ji Temple.  There is a sign that says " The small temple for jumping from a beam". 


 When I walked down the stone steps a bit, there is a small wooden temple. Directly below the temple, we can see the protruding square beam. On the day of the event, August 1st, the monks who have finished ascetic practices wear white religious costumes and jump off from the narrow beam. 
 This jumping scene can be viewed from this small temple, also selected small number of people are able to board a local fishing boat provided by local fishermen and view this scene from the lake in close distance.
 Reportedly, in both cases, those who can view the jumping scene directly will be decided by the raffle on the day. I would like to go viewing the event on the day, too. But if I don't win the raffle, I will end up watching the video monitor in the main hall of the temple. I'm worrying about this. There is also the cruise plan boarding on the pleasure boat to view this diving scenes and then taste the Lake fish cuisine at the nearby manned island. Although I'm interested in this plan, I think it is a little bit expensive for me. 

Usually it is off-limits near the beam to prevent accidents.





Comments

Popular Posts