Three Ascomycetes fungi and my impressions

 The weather is so nice today, so I went for a stroll to the usual woods.  I found a few Ascomycetes fungi when I was walking along the forest road. I'll show them in descending order in size.

(1) This is a popular fungus, known as Morel in English. Morilles (its French name)  is also known as a luxury ingredient in French cuisine. We call it Amigasa-take in Japanese. Amigasa is an old-fashioned hat woven from the stems of rushes, rice straw and is still used today.

Since the head has many dents and exhibits a brownish tone, it is thought this characteristic resembles a deep woven hat used in the Edo-period. Although I don't think it looks like it.


Although this fungus is famous for French dish,  I don't really want to cook this fungus.

(2) This looks like a coral erupting from a dead branch. I think this is probably an anamorph of Xylaria polymorha. In the case of Ascomycetes, the shape of the anamorph usually doesn't look like that of the teleomorph at all.

It looks creepy when it is magnified. When I hit the branch a little, something like spores began to float in the air. Although, no photo of that moment were available.


I think this brownish black mass is the teleomorph of Xylaria polymorha. When I found this at another dead branch the other day, I also found its anamorph close to it at the same time. When I lifted it with my fingers, it was very light and seemed to be hollow inside, finally broken into pieces when I pressed it.
(This photo was taken on May 4th.)

(3) I found many small cup fungi emerged on the damp dead log. Probably, it is a kind of Lachnum sp. Its diameter is one to two mm at a glance.

The interior of the cup is yellow. But, the exterior of the fungus looks blurry in this photo.


When I lit it from the below, I found the complicated pattern appearing on the exterior of this fungus.  I don't think probably this fact is written in a common fungal guide book.
Pictures were taken on May 8th, unless otherwise described.

Comments

Popular Posts