Quirky fungi found on a mossy damp log, called Black-Happiness-Mushroom in Japan

Today, in the usual woods I often walk around, I found something like small deer horns or clubs sticking out on a moss-covered fallen log. They are hard to the touch,  with the upper half having a white powdery surface and the lower half black.


This is a comparison with the Japanese 100 yen coin, which has a diameter of 22.6 mm. We can see an ant too.

This is a mossy decayed damp log lying in a forest where I found these fungi.

This has a characteristic shape, so I could easily find it through a Google image search. According to the Wikipedia, its scientific name is Xylaria hypoxylon belonged to the Ascomycetes and is known by a variety of common names, such as the candlestick fungus, the candlesnuff fungus, carbon antlers, or the stag's horn fungus. By the way, in Japan it is called Kuro-Saiwai-Take (it literally means, Black-Happiness-Mushroom). 

When I flicked the white powdery part with my finger, white powder (fungal spores) scattered like smoke. If all the spores are scattered or washed away, I think the top half also turns black.
 
Various shapes were found. Please take a look at following pictures.



(Photos were taken in the morning on April 26th, Japan time)


Comments

Popular Posts