The beautiful mimosa flower reminds me of starbursts of pink silky threads

I’d like to introduce the flowers of pink silk tree, also known as mimosa tree in this blog.

Originally, I happened to find a slender young seedling of a pink silk tree in my deserted cultivated land, but it seemed that wild deer had eaten the leaves. Because I was interested in this plant, I felt pity for it. So, I dug it up to rescue it about three years ago, and transplanted it in a plastic planter at home.

For a few years after transplanting, this young tree didn't bloom, but this year it has bloomed for the first time.

This is a flower of pink silk tree, also known as mimosa tree (in scientific name, Albizia julibrissin). Their flowers bloom at midsummer in dense inflorescences, which resemble starbursts of pink silky threads. 



 
On August 26th last year, I observed the process of its flowering. So I’d like to show the photos in chronological order.
↓ 14:30 
The rolled up stamens are beginning to come out from inside the buds.

↓ 15:40 
Stamens have appeared. But they still looked like they have been getting a perm.

↓ 17:10 
The stamens have stretched straight and become more like pink silky threads.

↓ Next day (8/27) 7:20 am 
The stamens become rigid and more orderly than yesterday.


Three months later after flowering, I noticed a flat pod hanging on a branch.

 In the case of a mature tree growing in the field, its fruit is a flat brown pod, usually 10–20 cm (4–8 in) long and 2–2.5 cm (0.8–1.0 in) broad, containing several seeds inside. But this is a young tree grown in a planter, so only single pod was fruited. Although the pod was small, I saw about three seeds inside.


However I have left the pod attached on the tree until today to make seeds mature as much as possible. These are the seeds that I took out from the pod today, January 19th.


I sowed these seeds in a small pot. I wish they would germinate this spring, don't you.




Comments

Popular Posts